Jul 28, 2009

Getting Things Done Chapters 9 & 10


Well welcome back to the bloggers book study. Today we continue our study of “Getting Things Done” by David Allen. First, I would like to say a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the best dad in the world. Have a great day dad!

 


When I was in college my favorite assignment was always when the professor made us do a chapter outline. And, because one of the tools Mr. Allen tells us to use is an outline I thought it would be cool to go through the chapters in that style. So let’s get to it!


I. Doing: Making the Best Action Choices (chapter 9)

A. The Four Criteria Model for Choosing Actions in the Moment

1. Context- organize your day based on what you can get done and where you can get it done successfuly 

2. Time Available- organize tasks to be done by how much time you have to complete them. A watch and calender will be very helpful in this case

3. Energy Available- know what tasks require what amount of energy. Plan execution accordingly 

4. Priority- list out tasks according to their importance level

B. The Threefold model for evaluating daily work

1. Doing pre-defined work 

2. Doing work as it shows up 

3. Defining your work 

C. The Six-Level Model for Reviewing Your Own Work

1. 50,000 feet: Life- why are you put on earth? what is your meaning or purpose?

2. 40,000 feet: three to five year visions- what do you want to accomplish? What can you      see yourself doing?

3. 30,000 feet: one to Two year goals- what are the steps I am taking to get there?

4. 20,000 feet: areas of responsibility- has a lot to do with the current state of things

 5. 10,000 feet: current projects- am I staying organized? am I "getting things done?

 6. Runway: current actions


II. Getting Projects Under Control (chapter 10)

A. The need for informal planning

1. This can be very important before and during a project

2. Most people do not need a high level elaborate organization

B. Which projects should you plan (2 types that deserve planning activity)

1. Those that have your attention even after you’ve determined their actions

2. Those where potentially helpful ideas can occur in the midst of the project

C. Planning Steps

1. Brainstorming- you need to decide where and how you will do this. Always write down your ideas

2. Organizing- get ideas into categories. This step will help you follow through

3. Setting up meetings- get the RIGHT people involved

4. Gathering information- after all these steps you might need to gather more data to help you plan

D. Random Project Thinking

1. Make lists of ideas as they come. Always be writing.

2. “Don’t loose any ideas about your project that could be potentially helpful”

E. Tools and Structures that Support Project Thinking

1. Writing Tools- always keep good writing tools close at hand

a. Paper pad

b. White board/ easel

c. Computer

F. Supportive Structure- You need to know how to structure and outline what you write

1. Create a file system- if you have folders organized and assigned you will want to use them more

2. Soft wear tools- use digital outlining. A word processor can help facilitate this

3. Brainstorming application- learn how to “map out” and carefully write down why you have thought out

-“The key is to get comfortable using your ideas” (pg 222)


I really enjoyed these two chapters. There are SO many applications for ministry in here. My over all break down is chapter 9 is a lot more cognitive. All about the way we need to re-structure our thinking about life and goals all together. Chapter 10 is more practical The “how to” and tools we might need. I think there is A LOT of info here and a lot to take in. Here is something you can do today: think out or make a list of your life work. Look at the different levels and evaluate where you are and where you would like to go.

Go ahead try it…

 

Tomorrow Yoel will bring us chapter 11

peace,

Genie

5 comments:

ann said...

Happy Birthday to your Dad!

Clever idea to use an outline format to teach us :)

Stacie said...

Great job Genie. I <3 outlines!

The most difficult for me to put into action would probably be assigning priorities. I tend to brainstorm, make a list and cross things off as I go along. Nothing revolutionary. I like post-it's and whiteboards. However, it's probably not the most effective system :/

Thanks, some stuff to consider putting into action.

Heather Palacios said...

Happy Birthday to su papi, does he make a good Elvis too? ;)

I like post-it's and good ole fashioned pencils and notepads. As much tech as I have swirling around me, my best measure of getting things done is getting it on paper.

BZ Ward said...

I just got a nice new "to do" list format from Levenger - I love it! I agree with the girlfriends about paper and pen! But this book is giving me lots of practical ways to be more effective with the tools I have. Thanks for such a clear outline!!

@heredes said...

Great outline - thx G-Mo & Happy Birthday Chip!

-H